Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Knocked From My Horse ...

One day I hit the ground and stopped and ceased to be ..
and found, like Paul,  I'd I'd been tumbled from my horse

Disaster followed by prayer after pleading  prayer 
Oh to rise and ride again and win again the love 
and honour of other exalted parcels of clay!

But No! He stripped me as I lay helpless on the ground
and I was strengthened only to succumb to his plans
the hound of heaven haunted and harangued me
without a crumb of lasting comfort
save a still small voice of revelation that grew and grew 
and lighted the dark suicidal pathways of my dreams

The horse of power slipped away
I couldn't do a blessed thing!

followed by every stray and untamed filly
neighing down the inner valleys of my sleepless hours

Horses of the intellect and prestige and honour
shamed until I knew the peace of  being un-shameable

what more could happen .. sorry thought
for it did happen ... as fondest friends forsook

the pain horrific as the brain sought reasons
and purpose and plans ...

Job was my food as I plodded onwards saying..
"Tomorrow I will wake and all will be well"
But all those fleshy tomorrows were but empty shells
Still piloting by the hearing of my ears
and longing for that vision that would spell and end to Ego


until I learned from one who emptied himself of all
divested .. stripped of all honour and glory and innocence
and He who knew no sin became empty and
 useless and without purpose 
except to fill Joseph of  Arimathea's grave 
 and so fulfil the Fathers will

And only then "the joy that was set before him"
as jewel after jewel was displayed 
upon the dark clothy canvas of His Calvary
millions and billions of exquisite human jewels 
for the travail of his soul and he was satisfied!

and now the body
connected to the head by joints and bands and nerve ends
is privileged to taste for a moment baptism into his pain

before the curtains finally go up on endless eons of joy

No comments:

Post a Comment